Monday, June 24, 2013

Day 8. June 24

Well, it was inevitable. I had my first flat tire of the ride. We left Ontario, OR this morning, a little town right on the Oregon-Idaho border. For most of the day, we were on back roads, passing fields of potatoes, beets, clover and corn. Our only rest stop of the day was at mile 31, giving me a chance to freshen my water bottles and get some food (pretzels and oranges - it's interesting the things you crave when expending a lot of energy). There was a big tent in the parking lot with a pick-up truck parked next to it. A guy with a blue T-shirt and red head bandana was working on some stuff at the tailgate so I went over to talk with him. After we got through talking about the bike trip, I asked what he was doing. He told me he was getting ready to sell fireworks. He introduced himself as Andrew and that he was the associate pastor of the Church of God across the street. They sell fireworks to raise money for their youth group so the kids can go to camp. I thought that was an interesting way for a church group to raise money.  (Karen, you may have to run that idea past the development committee!). He told us the highlight of the day's trip would be seeing the blue football field at the University of Idaho. I told him the highlight of my days have been talking with people like him.

I wished him well and headed out with 5 or 6 riders. Less than a mile down the road, I must have run over something and my tire was flat. Because I was toward the back, several of them did not see me and went on (I would have expected them to do that). I brought the bike to a stop (we had been on a nice downhill slope) and began changing the flat when a motorcyclist stopped to see if I needed help. I related that I had everything I needed, but he said, "I only live a couple of miles from here. I'll be right back with some things." Sure enough, he was back in about ten minutes in his pick-up truck with an air compressor in the back. He gave me an extra inner tube and proceeded to change my flat. He told me that he (John) and his wife had moved to Idaho several years ago from Northern California because he liked all the motorcycle trails in Idaho. He had been retired and his wife wasn't working. Their only son was in the military in DC, so it seemed like a good move. When asked, John related that he hoped his son had learned to stop and help people along the road, but thought that maybe he had only learned to race motorcycles. He explained that I probably ran over a "goat's head," a little pricier that is common out here. We talked about 10 minutes, but it was time to get back on the road, still 30 miles to go and hardly anyone in sight.

I was able to ride up to Nicole, the youngest rider on the trip. Nicole is 21, from Tucson and a journalism major atNorthwestern. We had a nice leisurely ride into town together.

So we are in Boise tonight, AND tomorrow night. Tuesday will be our first rest day, after almost 650 miles. My knees (and backside) can use a break. This also gives me a chance to catch up on some laundry. As I was waiting for a machine, I ran into Jennifer and her 15 year old son. They are here checking out the area, as they will be moving from Colorado (I forget the name of the town, somewhere between Denver and Colorado Springs). Jennifer's husband is an engineer and has recently accepted a position here in Boise. Josh is a little nervous, as he will be leaving all his buddies. I told him about our moving from Fort Wayne to SE Michigan when Kristen was going into her first year of high school. She thought I had ruined her life, only to tell me later (several years later) that she had learned that she could make new friends and this was a valuable lesson for her. Transitions are always a bit tough (like even entering retired life) but there are things to be learned, even if it takes some time.  As with many of the parents I've met along the way, Jennifer hopes that Josh and his two younger sisters are learning to care for others, to take time to help. It's obvious that Jennifer and her husband are doing a great job at that, as Josh already spends some time volunteering to help kids. Keep it up, Josh. Josh is also excited that he can get his driving permit here at age 15.  I know you'll be sensible!

So, tomorrow morning, a few of us are getting up to go to Mass. I forget where we were last Saturday, but the church cancels its Saturday evening Mass in the summer, and by the time that had Mass on Sunday morning, we were two hours down the road.

For now, good night. Be well.

Don

2 comments:

  1. Goatsheads! Those will do it. More interactions and people to chat with. You will love the blog later as a great reminder as well as posting your adventures for the rest of us to enjoy. We're planning a long ride from Bellpoint tomorrow with a good turnout projected if the rains hold off. Temps here in the 90's after that chilly spring and now we will be complaining about that. :-) But you have to take whatever weather it is that you get and go out and do it again on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needless to say, I'm LOL about the goatshead. Who would have thought that. AsI would expect, you're making many new 'friends' along the way. But Don, you will have to keep your conversations short if you the 'old man' want to keep up with the others. But the good news is that the youngest on the trip seems to be hanging in there with you. I shall continue to be thinking about you on your trip and wish you a save and enjoyable journey, both spiritually and physically. -- Marcia C.

    ReplyDelete