Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day 3 - June 19

Day 3.  June 19
Welches, OR to the Kee-Nah-Ta resort in Warm Sprins, OR.
We loaded the wagons between 6:15 and 6:30 this morning before riding to breakfast at the Whistle Stop Cafe. It was not quite on the way, but less than a mile away.

Sorry about not writing yesterday. We rode a little over 75 miles and didn't, get in until late afternoon. Because they had to shuttle us to supper it made for a tight schedule. We didn't get back to the hotel (resort, really) in Welches until almost 9p.
Day two was a bit harder with a few longer climbs of 2 1/2 miles at 5 to 6% grades. With this being only day 2, I still don't have the legs on total shape (that'll come within the next two weeks or so, I hope). So I went to bed just after 9. Glad I did.

After all the climbing yesterday, we got to what appeared to be a slight descent. But the bike seemed so sluggish. I couldn't get it over 13 mph, no matter how hard I tried.  At first I thought I had developed a slow leak or the brakes were rubbing. When neither of those were detected, I really got worried, thinking it was rider fatigue )old man's legs).
Today, when I experienced the same problem, I thought I was going to be in real trouble. It could be a long ride if I couldn't get much faster. Then they suggested that it may have been a "false flat" where the terrain seems flat or even a downgrade, but it's really a 2 to 3% up slope. Today, I was relieved to learn that's obviously what happened. Once we got over the hill, I was going downhill at 35 to 40 mph and on e flats could pretty easily hit 20 to 22.

Back to the ride today.  It started out pretty chilly this morning in the upper 30s. Yesterday they had predicted a 50% chance of rain today, but it came during the night. It was very overcast this morning, but the rain was holding off.  The first rest stop was at the 14 mile mark, as we were going up Mount Hood. Again, long, grinding hills. I spent nearly the fist two hours going between 5.5 and 8 mph, going up the mountains. By the time I got to the top, I was wet with sweat, but oh so cold. I thought it would be a miserable day for sure, as we had anger 55 miles to go. Then we crested and began the descent. Then it started a misting rain. The descent was  easier, but being wet, I got even colder. Toward the bottom, we stopped at a gas station to warm hands at the blow dryer in the rest room.
Had a nice chat with one of the staff. It was Ray's 55th birthday today. He was so proud of his two sons that have served in the military. One was a code breaker. After a cup of coffee and feeling a little warmer, it was back to the bike.
A few more climbs and descents and it was clear we were coming out of the mountains. It was amazing how in just five miles, the scenery changed from very green and filled with tall pine trees, to brown with much shorter tress spread further apart. The flowers along the road were changing as well. We started entering the high desert of Oregon. Soon we were riding fairly flat roads, surrounded by rather large, brown hills with scattered evergreens and red dirt in splotches. The sun came out and it began to get a bit warmer, reaching the mid 60s. In the distance we could see Mount Jefferson, covered in snow.
Then we started another long descent on a road with sweeping turns and some switchbacks. I tried to hold it between 30 and 35, but what a ride. Those of you who ride know the feeling. It was an afternoon that was marvelous. We ended the last quarter mile with a steep climb up to the Kee-Nah-Ta resort. It's on an Indian reservation in Warm Springs.
Great day. Tomorrow will be a bit lighter - 60 miles with some good climbs -getting ready for 116 miles on Friday.
Keep praying for me, as I do you.

Be well.
Don

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff, Don. So glad bike and body are holding up well. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time and managing quite nicely. Suspect you will be wishing for some of that mountain mist and cool when you get to the plains. And yes, praying for you. Chris

    ReplyDelete