Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 5 June 21

Day 5 June 21
This is the day everyone was dreading. Today was the longest ride of the entire trip, at least by mileage - 117 miles from Prineville to John Day, OR. There was also 5,000 feet of climbing we had to do to get over two passes long grinding hills they go on for miles. The first one especially was almost all uphill for nearly 30 miles. What a way to start the morning. Because it was such a long day, breakfast was at 5am and we were on the road by about 6.  We got in a little after 4, so 10 hours on the road, 9+ hours in the saddle. And yes, it does get hard and uncomfortable sitting on that little seatdor that long!! Besides the length of today's ride, the temperature started at about 40 degrees with heavy clouds. On the first climb, it started to rain, at times a steady drizzle that made seeing through glasses a bit challenging. Much of the ascent was in the lowest few gears, not going more than 6 to 8 miles an hour. That should give you some idea how long it can take to get up these hills for a few miles! And then the descents. Wen you're cold and wet and going down at 30+ mph, it can get awfully cold - sometimes to the point where shifting and breaking can be you. Thankfully there was a SAG stop at the summit of the first climb where they had latex gloves. Someone has done this before, as those were very helpful. Although, it took two people ten minutes orso to put my gloves on. My hands were so cold!
Going through all the rain and gravel turned the bikes to a mess. When we got it, there was a hose available and I gave my bike a thorough cleaning, especially wiping off the rims and break pads. I wanted to make sure I had breaks the next day.
Finally I rolled in about 4:15, very tired and ready to drain the hot water tank under the shower. Oh, that felt so good. At last to warm up.

Even though it was a long, tough day in the saddle, it was an interesting and good day. My lgs felt pretty strong, although I could tell I was hitting a wall around mile 100. But I meant some interesting people along the way.
At the first rest stop, after fueling up, I was walking around when a 15 passenger van/bus pulled into the rest area, filled with ladies in their 70s. Oneaskedmewhat was going on. Of course everyone is fascinated about a group of nuts riding their bikes for nearly 3700 miles. Wen we got through that part of the conversation, I asked "What are you ladies up to today?" One responded, "This is the boob bus and we're all going to get our breasts examined!  I never expected that answer and didn't know how to respond.  I think several of these ladies get a kick out of other's reactions to that.

At the third rest stop, we were at an old general store. There were afew other cyclists there, not with our group, but with full panniers on front and back wheels. They were going cross country, but supporting themselves and hauling everything around on their bikes.  Two guys, Larry and Andrew had started in Delaware in early May and were within a weeks of the west coast. Larry had just graduated from Bluffton University between Lima and Findlay. The two had actually met, thou when they studied together ar Rosedale Bible College, a two year school in the conservative, Mennonite tradition,  south of Plain City a little bit and about 25 miles from our house. I ride past there regularly. What are the odds  of meeting two guys on the road in the middle of Oregon who went there. They were surprised that I had heard of it.

These guys were a bit amazing, in that one of them had not ridden bikes before. He borrowed one from a friend and rode 60 miles for his training. Te other guy had ridden about the same. Their gearing was nothing special and they were on platform pedals-the kind you ride around the neighborhood on, not where you clip into the pedal. Oh to have young legs. Andrew's legs, after over 3,000 miles were as solid as steel!

And then I met Barb as I was checking into e hotel. Again, just very interested in our ride. She grew up in Indiana, just outside Cincinnati, but has lived in Idaho for a number of years. She was in John Day for her 16 year old son's baseball tournament. We chatted a while when I asked, "What do you hope your son has learned from you." She didn't hesitate, saying she and her son had actually talked about that in the way over today. She wants him to be kind and have integrity. I told her about a billboard I had seen a few days ago. "The evidence of good parenting is an adult with integrity. I liked that.
A few hours later, I met Barb again at the Subway restaurant, as I was buying tomorrow's lunch. She greeted me with, "Hi, Don." And I responded with "How  are you doing, Barb." Old friends who will never meet again.

So, it was a tough day, a wet day, a cold day - but a good day. It is officially the longest bike ride I have ever taken.  Ready for bed.

Be well.

Don

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on successfully completing the hardest day of the ride, Don. Keep up the good work! -Les.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great descriptions of what sounded like a satifying day overall. You seem to have be a draw for the septuagenarians and bring out the best in them. I love the description of your encounters with people. That is one of the great things about this ride. People. And two from Rosedale to boot. What a hoot. The cold and the rain are certainly a tough combination. We had most of our rain days in the Nevada desert during an unseasonably cool summer and in our case, decided I preferred that to three digit temps and blazing sun. One day we dried our stuff at a fireplace in a Nevada motel. Whodathunkit. But latex gloves and shivering for many miles is a bit extreme. Hope the knee is holding up -- certainly sounds as if the spirits are!

    ReplyDelete