Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 6. June 22

Day 6.  June 22
Today's post may be a bit shorter, as I did not meet anyone today - just riders on our tour. Breakfast was at 6 am this morning, with loading at 7 and take off as soon as you could get away. This morning was partly sunny, but we knew there was not a chance of rain and the temperatures were to be a bit warmer today. It got into the low 70s, certainly a lot nicer than yesterday.

The first 20 miles was steady climbing, over 2,000 feet. We actually had 3 fairly long climbs today for a total climb of over 4,600 feet. In the last week, we've had over 24,000 feet of climbing, nearly 1/4 of all the climbing for the whole 7 week trip. I did a few hills in Hocking beforehand and twice up toward Bellfontaine, but nothing like what I've had this last week. I'm thinking I've done pretty well for a flat lander. By mile 50 today, most of the climbs were done and we were riding mostly downhill into Baker City this afternoon. For nearly the last 15 miles, we rode next to the Powder River. Not very wide, but twisty, curvy with lots of small rills and rapids.  Very pretty. The terrain is different again, now mostly grazing land and a lot more cattle. And certainly some mountains in the background, some even snow covered.

We got into town jus a little after 2 pm. Tomorrow it's on to Ontario, OR, our last nigh in Oregon. On Monday we go into Boise and then get a rest day.and I'll be ready. By the time we get there, I will have ridden 644 miles, from Sunday to the following Monday. I've never biked that much before. Tomorrow's ride is 83 miles, just  2 miles longer than today's , but we will be climbing only 2100 feet, less than half of what we did today.
Well, as it's just 8:30 here, it's time to start thinking of bed. This whole week has been nothing but riding, eating and sleeping.

Be well.
Don

By the way, America by Bicycle is also posting a bit of a blog and lots of pictures

www.abbike.com.  Go to the bottom of the page and click on Ride Journals. You'll see a link for Across America North 2013.

7 comments:

  1. Love reading about the connections you make with others along your day's ride and your thoughts about things you see such as the billboard.

    Sounds like you're getting even stronger than you were when you left! CSS staff talks about you every day...in a good way, that is!...and is cheering you on!

    Be safe, my friend, and enjoy the ride!
    Karen






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen
      I've really enjoyed just talking with some of the locals. I wish I had more time for that. Unfortunately, sitting on the bile for 6 or 7 hours a day makes it difficult. I'm just taking it one day at a time, sometimes a mile at a time. Some days are easier than others. Some hills are tougher than others. But, so far, I've gotten over every one and have arrived safely at the hotel before supper.

      Delete
  2. I've been relaying your posts to Mom - she is cheering you on, Don! Sounds tough, but what a GREAT experience you are having!!!! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny,
      I love that you are reading this to your mom. Tell her Hi and let her know that everything is holding up pretty well, although the back side could use a rest!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are really getting into the groove and getting stronger and stronger. That rest day will be delicious when it comes, and will only serve to solidify the gains in strength. Sound like those hills are second nature with all that climbing you have in. Is that gearing you have serving you well? Getting enough calories or are you dropping the pounds already?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,
    I always appreciate the encouragement. I'm so glad I bought this cassette and that I have the two gears beyond what I had. I use the 30 and occasionally the 34. I think I'll need every bit of it when we go into the Tetons about July 1. From what they tell me, the climbs are a bit steeper and longer.

    ReplyDelete