Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Day 1 - June 17

Breakfast was available at 6 am this morning and most riders were there on time. Vans were loaded at 7, a group picture taken at 7:20 and riders were on the road shortly thereafter.
The weather was nice today. Dry, reaching into the upper 60s -great for riding. A little cross wind, but a nice day for riding.

I kissed Tam good-bye just after 7:30 ( today is our 41st wedding anniversary), hopped on my bike and headed out with Josine, a women from the Netherlands. Boy, is she a strong rider! She led most of the way. At the end of the day, a few of us were calling her "Big Ring." None of us ever saw her take it off the big drive ring. Even up the 6% grades, she never put it in the little ring!! Most of us were quick to gear down pretty low. Cyclists will understand this. If you non-cyclists would like a little explanation and I can give you a lesson on bike gearing.


The first part of the ride was a little rolling, some climbs, but not bad. They staged the first rest stop at mile 20, so everyone was still pretty fresh. Josine made sure we were one of the first to arrive.
A little further up the road, we were joined by Mitch from Plano, TX.
Ten the climbs started. There were 3 or 4 two+ mile climbs at 5 or 6% grade.  As long as I geared down and rode my ride, not trying to keep up with Mitch or Josine, I was fine. They generally waited at the top of the hill and off we went.  Downhills were a lot easier, but a bit scarier. Sme of the roads were pretty rough and I was shaking down at about 38 mph.


As we came down one of,the final hills, just past Alston, the view opened up to the Columbia River. We could see a snow-capped mountain in the background. Just gorgeous. At one point, a big logging truck came whiz zing pst, a bit close for my comfort level.  "Hail Mary, full of grace..." I wasn't about to stop and take a picture. Just wanted to get to the bottom so I could slow down and get out of the way of trucks.

Shortly after the 2nd stop, I could no longer catch up, so spent the next 15 miles or so riding by myself. But that's ok. It gave me a chance to think of all of you. Finally, I arrived in St. Helens a little after 1pm. Felt good to finally get the riding gear off, ice down a bit and take a shower.

Tomorrow we get up and do it all over again, only a little further, as we head toward Mt. Hood.

Be well

Don

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes -- be careful with those trucks! Have a great ride today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don, Great to hear that your trip is now officially underway, and you had a good first day of riding!

    ReplyDelete