Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day 37, July 23

Day 37,  July  23.  Ludington to Mount Pleasant, MI. 115 miles

After a quick night, we ate about 5:30 this morning and loaded at 6:30 for an early start, as we had a long day ahead of us. The weather was a bit cool and breezy, with winds out if the NNWat 10 to 15 mph. We should get a little push today from the wind, but it felt a lot like a strong cross wind much of the day. Lots of rolling hills which generally cause me to fall behind a bit. After all the ups and downs we have done, you'd think this flat lander would do a bit better on the rolling terrain. I think I'm going to have to learn to spin faster at less of a gear. Once I caught back up, I'm generally able to stay up, but it's still work.

Just before one of our SAG stops, we saw a mouse dart across the road just ahead of us. A few miles later, we saw a bald eagle come out of one of the trees just ahead of us, then flew directly overhead. very cool, but I think he missed his chance for that little mouse.

Our third SAG stop this afternoon was at mile 84 and was at a senior center about half way between Big Rapids and the Village of Lake Isabella. When we pulled up, Harold was sitting in his electric wheel chair waiting to talk with the riders. He told me he used to ride bicycle when he lived in Toledo, but that he was hit by a car in 1988. The wreck broke his arm and caused some other problems as well. He was hospitalized for several weeks. He's been up here in Michigan since 1989 to be near his mother. He said he owned a little house a few miles away but that he came to the nursing home every Tuesday and Friday for arts and crafts and to flirt with the ladies. He said he had never married, but worked for a number of years as a brickmason's assistant, hauling bricks and blocks at work sites.  I then went in to use the rest room and saw John sitting by himself eating lunch.  John appeared to be maybe early 50s with shoulder length hair and his left eye permanently shut - and no teeth. When I greeted him, he said, "I thought I recognized you."  He proceeded to tell me that his teeth hadn't been able to stay in lately and that made it difficult to eat. My hat is always off to those who work and volunteer in these types of facilities. It is important, yet hard and low-paying work. They deserve all our thanks for caring for people like Harold and John.

At mile 99, we felt obligated to stop for ice cream. Yeah, I can hear your comments, but this lady normally doesn't open her store until 4pm. She opened a few hours early today just because she knew our group was coming through. It was the right thing to do! For her and for us.

Finally, we arrived in Mount Pleasant, home to Central Michigan University. This was our last 100 + mile of the trip. Tomorrow should be a bit easier at only 75 miles - and pretty flat. 
I cleaned my bike tonight after getting in and changed brakes as well. After taking a shower and getting ready to go to supper, I was down in the parking lot and got a huge surprise. An old friend, Bill Drake, from Sylvania, OH, was standing there with a big grin on his face. He had driven up from Toledo this afternoon and plans to ride to Birch Run with us tomorrow. Bill was one of the guys I used to ride with before we moved to Columbus and was one of the early ones (along with Chuck Van Rens) to encourage me to get on a bicycle 11 or 12 years ago.  Even though he's older, I expect that he is still faster than I. Thanks for the surprise, Bill.

Be well. Do good.

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment