Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 14. June 30

Day 14. June 30.  Pocatello to Idaho Falls

Idaho Falls
Even though it was a relatively short day (65 miles) we left around 7 to avoid the heat of the day. Even with that, it's odd how one day the legs feel strong and like they could go all day (yesterday was sort of like that, even in the wind), but today was not. Partly, I think, is that the person I was with was strong and going 21 mph+. I decided to not wear myself out and dropped back a bit, partly to save myself for tomorrow's ride.

The Snake River plays an important part for Southern Idaho
Today was nice going through eastern Idaho potato fields. The Snake River was again in view for part of the day. This river plays an important part for southern Idaho, feeding the fields with water and providing recreational opportunities for thousands.  It did get a bit hot today, so I drank a lot. At one point, almost out of water, I saw a lady out planting flowers, so I stopped to,ask for a drink. Michelle was very nice, bringing me a glass of water and a cold bottle of water. We spent a little time talking while she planted flowers and I sat on her front porch. I stopped a few other times just for a breather and was struck by how quiet it was.  Eastern Idaho is mile after mile of rich farm fields.
Idaho Falls

We arrived in Idaho Falls about noon today, but rooms were not ready until 2:30 or so. This gave us a chance to visit the nearby Applebee's for a nice meal and big. Chocolate milk shake. Too many more of these and I may end the ride bigger than when I started.
Our hotel is right next to the falls -not high, but very long, to produce electricity.

Tomorrow is the big day as we enter Wyoming and climb 5500 feet to cross the Teton Pass. I'm looking forward to seeing the town of Jackson, as I've never been there before. So it's to bed early tonight for an 88 mile ride. The big climb doesn't start until about mile 70.

So, be well.  Please know how much I've appreciated you comments to the blog, Faceb


ook or the individual emails. They are all encouragements when the saddle starts to get a bit hard.

Don

3 comments:

  1. Don,

    Sounds like you're enjoying your trip and living your "dream". I've really enjoyed reading your posts and I try to keep updated each day. Take care out there on road. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Keep riding strong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Don! Keep pedaling away! I'm enjoying reading your posts and have been reading them to Mom, too! We'll be "kind of" out your way this weekend - traveling to Denver and Boulder (family gathering with Linda Wisler, Mom, Mart, Dia, John, Ken and spouses. From Boulder some of us are traveling through Boulder up to Billings and then to East Rosebud Lake for some hiking. Little easier on us than you, I'm thinking!!!! That heat you're encountering - yikes! Still - what a great adventure you're having! Will you be back in time for the reunion? (We'll understand if you stand that whole weekend!) Take care - enjoy the ride!! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny
    We're riding through Wyoming now. Yesterday we rode into Jackson and went over the Continental Divide today on our way into Dubois.
    We finish the ride August 5, so should be at the reunion, standing, maybe sitting.

    Don

    ReplyDelete