Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 47. Friday, August 2

Day 47. Friday, August 2. Little Falls to Latham, NY. 75 miles

Fabulous. Another great day on the bicycle. I'm glad to report that the swelling in my legs is all but gone and my ankles are almost back to normal. Those compression stockings seem to be working - and they are such a fashion statement!  The skies cleared up with large, puffy white clouds. The temperature was about 80 - perfect riding weather.

Today we followed the Mohawk River all day.  After the first few climbs of a couple hundred feet (altitude, not length) we were rewarded with a spectacular panorama of the Mohawk valley.  The pictures just don't do it justice.   This is an area Tam and I agree we'd like to visit again. We went through a number of picturesque small towns, including Canajoharie, Amsterdam and Fultonville, named after Robert Fulton, inventor of the steam engine. I'm not sure he lived here, but no doubt close by if not here. For about 17 miles or so, we were on a bike path. Very nice. We also touched into Schenectady before getting into Latham. I got in just before one, so I had a nice chance to shower, put my feet up, take a nap and go out for a milk shake and ice cream with Tam. Such a nice day.  

Hard to believe we are down to the last three ride days. Tomorrow, we enter Vermont and will be there just one night. Tomorrow is filled with several long, pretty steep climbs. We've not seen anything like this since maybe Wyoming. Hopefully I'll be able to find the climbing legs in time. The theme for tomorrow is gear down and take it as slow as I need to.

Be well. Do good.

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment